DAVIDsTEA The Earl's Valentine

Today I tried another one of the DAVIDsTEA Valentine teas, The Earl's Valentine.  Now I smelled this tea in store and didn't detect any bergamot, that characteristic earl grey smell, and it didn't even dawn on me that this tea was an iteration of an earl grey tea.  I should have realized as DAVIDsTEA calls their other earl grey varieties "the earl" as in The Earl's Garden (which is a fruity earl grey).  So, I was a bit surprised to taste the tea and discover it was another version of an earl grey.

The description: Some people swear by chocolate and roses on Valentines Day.  We say there's nothing dreamier than tea.  But, with this romantic blend you don't have to choose.



The ingredients: roasted carob, black tea, chocolate, rose buds, cornflower petals and natural and artificial flavorings

The dry leaves:  This is a beautiful tea, full of rose buds and blue cornflower petals although it almost reminds me of the look of potpourri!  The tea smells like chocolate with a subtle hint of rose and now that I am really getting my nose in it I can smell a bit of bergamot.



The steeped leaves: pretty rose buds mingled with an average black tea base. I wonder what type of black tea they are using?

The first sip:  The first sip made it very clear to me that this is an earl grey tea.  I am still puzzled though why bergamot is not listed.  My guess is that it is contained within either the natural or artificial flavoring.  I will hope it is in the natural flavor!  There are not any clear floral notes in this and I am surprised as I thought with all those pretty rose buds I would taste something.  The first taste is a clear chocolate note followed by that almost astringent earl grey note.  I actually really like this combination a lot.  The chocolate plays well with the black tea base and the earl grey flavor.  I did add some honey and milk after my first sips as I think earl grey is best when prepared in that manner.  I would definitely buy more of this to have on hand when I am in the mood for an earl grey.

This tea will be available for purchase on January 31st at davidstea.com and at DAVIDsTEA stores!



Comments

  1. I know you've mentioned that you like black teas the best. I was wondering what are some of your top favorites? Do you add cream and sugar? I've always enjoyed hot tea but it's just been in the past 1-1/2 years that I've discovered teas beyond what my local store offered. I now have quite a few teas from Davidstea, Teavana, Harney and sons, etc. And I just keep buying and buying. The newest tea I've tried is Harney and sons Valentine's blend. It's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite black tea would have to be a darjeeling second flush black, the smoothest black tea! I also enjoy more complex black teas like golden monkey or black dragon pearls. I add milk and sweetener to the thicker teas, like a thick Irish Breakfast Tea or the Kenyan black teas, I find that the thickness needs the sweet and creamy to balance it out. The more complex teas like Golden Monkey I drink as is. It is funny how tea really becomes a hobby, you start with just one tea and before you know it the cabinet is full of tea! Not a bad thing, there are worse things out there to want to collect! Happy Sipping!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts